Raphael Veiga owes much of his career to Fernando Diniz and, for that reason, he is one of the players on the national team who knows the coach best. The coach was responsible for promoting the midfielder when he was Audax, in 2009, and later worked with him at Athletico in 2018 and 2019. The reunion four years later, of course, awakens memories… And jokes.
The Palmeiras player gave a press conference after training this Wednesday (6), at Mangueirão. One of the eight athletes called up who have already worked with Diniz, Veiga revealed that the athletes who know the coach told funny stories about the days they spent together. The midfielder also joked that the two have changed a lot since they worked together, but the main difference is that today, he is less scolded in training.
– The people who worked with him, we were talking, joking that we’ve been through funny situations with him. Of course, since 2018, I worked in 2009, I don’t remember, at Audax, then at Athletico. Of course I changed a lot, he changed a lot. The difference is that before I was scolded a lot, now I think I take it less – said the midfielder, laughing.
Abel and Diniz: the best in Brazil for Veiga
Veiga also said at the press conference that he has the privilege of working with those he considers to be the best technicians in Brazil. That is: Abel Ferreira in Palmeiras and Fernando Diniz, in the national team. The midfielder also spoke about the differences in work and style between the two commanders.
– Abel and Diniz are the two best coaches in Brazil. They are different, but I adapted to Abel’s work, and knowing Diniz, I adapted very quickly. I’ve been with Abel for years, I know how he plays and the variations. And Diniz, too. Of course it needs adaptations, it has to change a little. But nothing too big, because I already know him – he said.
Those summoned by Fernando Diniz:
- Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool), Lucas Perri (Botafogo) and Ederson (Manchester City);
- Sides: Danilo (Juventus), Vanderson (Monaco), Caio Henrique (Monaco) and Renan Lodi (Marseille);
- Defenders: Ibañez (Al-Ahli), Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal), Marquinhos (PSG) and Nino (Fluminense);
- Midfielders: André (Fluminense), Bruno Guimarães (Newcastle), Casemiro (Manchester United), Joelinton (Newcastle) and Raphael Veiga (Palmeiras);
- Attackers: Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Matheus Cunha (Wolverhampton), Neymar (Al-Hilal), Richarlison (Tottenham), Rodrygo (Real Madrid) and Raphinha (Barcelona).
Diniz’s debut in the national team
Fernando Diniz debuts as coach of the Selection in the duel with Bolivia, on the 8th, at 9:45 pm (Brasília time), in Mangueirão, for the first round of the 2026 World Cup Qualifiers. Then, on the 12th, at 11 pm ( Brasilia time), Brazil faces Peru, at the National Stadium, in Lima.