Despite being an idol, Abel Ferreira is not having a good time in charge of Palmeiras. At least that’s what most Alviverde fans think. This Thursday (21), in a game valid for the 24th round of the Brazilian Championship, Verdão lost to Grêmio, 1-0, away from home, and the Portuguese coach was identified as the main culprit.
During and after the match, Alviverde fans flooded social media with criticism directed at Abel Ferreira. Among the main complaints, the coach’s insistence on using two right-backs in the team (Marcos Rocha and Mayke) stands out. Furthermore, the option for Artur on the left wing and the Portuguese’s delay in changing the team were also questions raised.
pardabel is the only coach in the world who would play artur on the left side
kill your own team
— jhonathan (@ferroniJhon) September 22, 2023
two right sides and Arthur on the left wing. not ironically pardabel moment
— adriano (@swirliess14) September 22, 2023
I would like to understand what is happening with Abel Ferreira, he seems less “hungry” to win. If he settles for little, the rehearsed moves disappear, he doesn’t look for alternatives, he simply “sits” in the current situation and hopes it works out.
— Kauê (@kauefsantos_) September 22, 2023
Abel’s annoying habits of dying while hugging a catfish that hasn’t yielded in a long time, and the delay in changing it is enough to make fans angry!
The team is not playing well with these improvisations and insists on maintaining this.
MR, Arthur and GM, don’t play ball anymore to be starters
— Tiago Oliveira (@itg_tiago) September 22, 2023
Palmeiras misses opportunity to touch Botafogo
If they beat Grêmio, Palmeiras would shorten the gap to four points in relation to leader Botafogo. With the bitter defeat, Alviverde remained with 44 and in second place in the competition. In 24 rounds played, Abel Ferreira’s team recorded 12 wins, eight draws and four defeats.
Now, Porco turns the key and focuses its attention on the Copa Libertadores. Next Thursday (28), the São Paulo team visits Boca Juniors, in a match valid for the first leg of the Copa Libertadores semi-final. The ball starts at 9:30 pm (Brasília time) at Bombonera.
Grêmio resumes third place and ‘allows’ itself to dream of a title
The Grêmio fan is smiling from ear to ear after this Thursday’s victory (21). This is because, with the positive result, Imortal reached 43 points, resumed third place in the Brasileirão and shortened the distance to Botafogo.
With only the Brazilian Championship to play until the end of the season, Grêmio keeps its hope for the national title alive. At this moment, eight points separate Tricolor from Alvinegro Carioca. It is worth remembering that the two teams will still face each other in this second round.
Palmeiras’ next games
- Boca Juniors x Palmeiras – Copa Libertadores (semi-final – first leg) – La Bombonera – Thursday (28/9), at 9:30 pm (Brasília time);
- Red Bull Bragantino x Palmeiras – Brazilian Championship – Nabi Abi Chedid – Sunday (01/10), at 6:30 pm (Brasília time);
- Palmeiras x Boca Juniors – Copa Libertadores (semi-final – second leg) – Allianz Parque – Thursday (05/10), at 9:30 pm (Brasília time)
Grêmio’s next games
- Fortaleza x Grêmio – Brazilian Championship – Arena Castelão – Saturday (30/9), at 4pm (Brasília time);
- Internacional x Grêmio – Brazilian Championship – Beira-Rio – Sunday (08/10), at 4pm (Brasília time);
- Grêmio x Athletico-PR – Brazilian Championship – Grêmio Arena – Wednesday (10/18), at 7pm (Brasília time)