In a great phase since the end of 2022, goalkeeper Lucas Perri, from Botafogo, had his work recognized with the call-up to the Brazilian national team. This Wednesday, coach Fernando Diniz called the player to replace Bento, from Athletico-PR, who suffered a muscle injury in his right thigh. Thus, Botafogo has a player representing Brazil again after four years. In addition, Perri’s departure to the national team reignited the controversy over Diniz not having called up players from the leader of the Brazilian Championship in his first list.
Before Lucas Perri, the last Botafogo player called up for the Brazilian national team was right-back Marcinho, currently at América-MG, in September 2019. Coincidentally, he was also called up to replace a player who was injured. In this case, the side Danilo. Marcinho was called up for the friendlies against Nigeria and Senegal.
Thus, Perri will complete the trio of goalkeepers along with Alisson, from Liverpool, and Ederson, from Manchester City, both from England. The national team will start the dispute for the South American Qualifiers for the 2026 World Cup. Brazil will face Bolivia, on September 8, in Belém, and Peru, four days later, in Lima.
Lucas Perri celebrates being called up to the national team
At Botafogo since August 2022, Lucas Perri celebrated being called up in the club’s concentration for the match against Defensa y Justicia, this Wednesday, at 7 pm (Brasília time), for the second leg of the quarterfinals of the Copa Sul- American. The club published a video in which football director André Mazzuco announced the squad to the players, who celebrated the goalkeeper’s victory.
— Botafogo FR (@Botafogo) August 30, 2023
Shortly after, Lucas Perri published a message celebrating the call-up. He still made a point of mentioning Náutico, the club he defended before arriving at Botafogo, in 2022.
– Grateful to God for the opportunity to represent my country. It’s a childhood dream come true. I am very grateful to Náutico for the opportunity I received and to Botafogo for trusting my work – published Lucas Perri.
Possible call-up of Botafogo players sparked controversy
When Fernando Diniz announced his first squad, at the beginning of August, the absence of players from Botafogo, the undisputed leader of the Brazilian Championship, drew attention, but was celebrated by the fans. And the coach was questioned and talked about the issue.
– Botafogo has a lot of merit for being where it is. The call up suggests that we look at Botafogo and we did, but it doesn’t mean that the team that is in first place in the championship has to call up a player. This is not written in any book – said Fernando Diniz in the summons.
– It also does not mean that if someone passes Botafogo and he is not champion, up front there cannot be a player called up. The criterion is not where the teams are positioned in the competition table. Obviously, the teams that come closer to the titles end up having a greater facility to have a player summoned – completed the coach.
Bruno Lage, coach of Botafogo, in a recent press conference, agreed with Fernando Diniz about not having the obligation to call up players from the leader of the Brasileirão. But he reinforced that the club has more than one player with chances of being summoned.
– I agree with the selector. There is nothing that obliges you to take players from the team that is in first place to the Selection. The justification is very clear, no one is obliged to go to the Selection for being in first place – said Lage.
– On the other hand, not only Adryelson, but also a group of players who are doing everything, I think it would be a great pride to represent the Selection. What I guarantee is that when a player from Botafogo… It could be Adryelson, Lucas, Marçal and I’m even going to mention another name, which is Marlon, who is having a fantastic season… When any one of them is called up, they will be available and will work as a team, just like they do in Botafogo. The group is completely closed and focused on Botafogo’s goals. If the call-up appears, it would be a huge source of pride for the club. Any of them, like Tiquinho, are having a very solid season – concluded Bruno Lage.